Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sex Ed and Abstinence

A lot of us were surprised at the Sioux Falls School Board's decision about the Sex Ed curriculum.

I believe they made the right decision. Separating the boys from the girls is a good idea. I can't remember if my sex ed class was co-ed, but I imagine it would be really embarrassing at that age.

Abstinence was, apparently, the big debate with this issue. I agree with the school board in teach abstinence along with info about disease control and contraception. Plus, their reasons for leaving out "until marriage" were smart. They said it "would have excluded gay and lesbian students or people who decide to postpone marriage until later in life." Now that's smart, inclusive thinking.

And if parents think teaching abstinence until marriage is a value, then they should be teaching that to their kids at home. I'm personally an abstinence until marriage person, but just because that's how I choose to live my life doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

So, hurray for the Sioux Falls School Board!

Also, check out this topic at the Coat Hangers at Dawn blog.

No comments: